September 20, 2008
it wasn’t too long ago so i still remember the conversation vividly. i told my mom that we had decided to become minimalist. she called me back a few minutes later to report that she had talked to my uncle who was intrigued with the notion. he had gone straight to his computerto google “minimalism,” but was dissapointed in the results. he wanted more information. i said to myself, “i’ll give him more information. i’ll start a blog about we’re doing.”
i saw several benefits to starting a blog about our journey to become minimalist:
- it would keep us accountable. even if i didn’t know who the readers were, i’d still feel accountable to follow through with the decision to become minimalist because “people are reading.”
- it would encourage others. reading about our journey towards this better life would surely encourage other to do the same.
- it would serve as an on-line journal. a fun way to look back and see where we’ve come.
as this blog goes over 10,000 hits today. i’m reminded of the many unforseen benefits that have come along with its creation.
- i’ve gotten to meet new people – albeit, only digitally. nevertheless, i’ve gotten to meet many like-minded people through the comment sections of the blog. people i never would have met without it.
- i’ve been forced to think through minimalism on a deeper level. creating a blog post takes effort. it takes thought to write down what you did, how you did it, and why you did it.
- i’ve been encouraged myself. what began as a desire to encourage others has become an encouragement to me. thanks for everyone who has visited and posted comments. they have helped in our journey to become minimalist.
thanks again for stopping by.
September 3, 2008
i really appreciate the traffic that i get here at becomingminimalist. i hope it encourages you to minimalize (even a little) around your home. and thanks to those of you with blogs that link here, i thought i should return the favor.
- be whole now
- Leaning Towards Wisdom
- The Urban Minimalist
- The New Old
if i missed your blog, let me know. i’ll add it to the list and make sure you get the credit that your fine judgement deserves.